I am very happy and honoured to announce that my blog has been nominated for the Liebster Award. Liebster Award is given to bloggers by bloggers to support each other and bring attention to other talented bloggers, who share similar interests. I am thrilled as I have not been blogging for a very long time and I am very happy that all my work has been noticed and recognized. I would like to thank Allison for the nomination. Check out her amazing blog Seeking Neverland!
The idea of the Liebster Award is that you have to answer a few questions from the person who nominated you, as well as specific Liebster Award questions. Then, it’s your turn to nominate other bloggers!
Here are my answers to the questions asked by Allison:
Where was the first place you travelled to and what did it teach you?
I travelled around Poland quite a lot when I was younger, but mostly for holidays and never alone. My first trip abroad was when I went to Bulgaria. I would say that the trip that had the greatest impact on me (and which taught me a lot about myself) was my trip to Thailand where I volunteered and taught English. It was also my first time travelling in Asia. It showed me how capable I was when left to my own devices on the other side of the world. It also taught me to appreciate what I have in life, and it changed the way I see the world and react to different situations.
What kind of traveller are you? City, mountains, or beach?
I believe all of them can be great! However, I am personally more of an explorer – I love getting to know the place, the culture, talk with locals and explore as much as I can. Therefore, I am not a big fan of merely beach style holidays right now. I have also started to enjoy mountain climbing and have climbed a few mountains in China. The views were absolutely breathtaking.
Currently, what place is #1 on your bucket list?
To be honest, there are loads of places I would love to see! My number one for now is Japan-I hope I’ll have a chance to visit it in the future:)
What is the most daredevil’ish thing you have done whilst travelling?
Walking alone at night and living in a very shabby district of Bangkok! Also, I should probably mention being in the same room with a huge snake… Argh!
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
It is a hard question as I haven’t seen all the places where I could potentially live yet! However, during my last backpacking trip in Asia, both Hong Kong and Singapore totally stole my heart and I hope one day I will move to one of these places (or both!) for at least a year.
What is your biggest challenge right now as a blogger?
My biggest challenge is to manage my time and fit in everything I want to do in my schedule. Although I do love blogging, I also have to admit it is hard work and takes a lot of time, dedication and commitment. My biggest challenge for now is how to learn new things, grow my audience, be consistent in posting and make new connections. I also find it quite challenging learning the technicalities of WordPress and managing a website, so I am still trying to challenge myself and gain some IT-related knowledge.
Blogging comes with wearing many different hats, how do you manage your time?
I would say I am generally an organized and self-disciplined person, which definitely helps with time management. However, sometimes I feel like there is too much on my plate. Right now I am blogging, studying at university, travelling, volunteering and preparing for a Chinese language certificate. Therefore, from time to time I struggle to manage my time effectively. I make ‘to-do lists’ for every single day and I have been doing that for a few years already. I find that making lists helps me achieve my goals, successfully manage and not waste my time, and feel more in control of what I am doing. It is also a good feeling waking up in the morning and having a clear plan for the day.
Do you prefer to travel alone or with a companion?
I have done both. Travelling with a companion is great but only if you have the same goals, want to visit similar places and have more or less similar mindsets. It can be very hard and draining to travel with people who have totally different ideas about the trip. When I was travelling alone, I felt that I was in charge of the whole trip and I also reflected on my experience a bit more. Surprisingly, I never felt alone and I met a lot of travellers from all around the world in various hostels, on the streets etc. So, I would say if you have a good friend, definitely travel together! It’s fantastic to have some people around with whom you can share your experience. However, if you don’t, never let that hinder your plans and try travelling solo! Travelling alone will teach you a lot about yourself and what you are truly capable of.
Where are you headed to next?
I am going to Beijing at the beginning of June! I am super excited!
What do you miss most when you are on the road?
I tend to miss some simple home comforts that I normally take for granted – a clean bed to sleep in, some favourite snacks, and I do miss my friends and family of course!
Do you have a favourite travel quote? If so, what is it?
Of course I do! I read travel quotes all the time:) I have a couple that I can truly relate to. One of them is: “Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” Michael Palin.
Additional questions per Liebster Award requirements:
Who is your favourite blogger?
My favourite blogger right now is Rebecca from Rebminlu. I love her blog and the way she writes and describes her travels! I feel very lucky that we have had a chance to connect and talk a lot over social media, which made me feel like I was talking to a good friend I have known for ages. She is a very adventurous, brave and open-minded girl with great passion for travelling and you should definitely check out her blog and her stunning Instagram pictures!
10 random facts about myself.
- I love travelling!
- I taught English in Thailand.
- I was in Thailand for two months, and one day a big venomous snake entered the house where I was living. Fortunately, I managed to escape and then watched brave snake catchers trying to capture it. A horrible but memorable experience, indeed.
- My favourite actress and one of the people who inspires me is Audrey Hepburn.
- I love reading motivational books. My favourite writers and motivational speakers are Les Brown and Tony Robins.
- My full name is Aleksandra and its short version is Ola (it is the same name in Poland, where I am from). I never ever use Aleksandra and everyone calls me Ola, so when people see ‘Aleksandra’ written in my documents, they are very confused!
- I love studying languages and apart from English and Polish, I speak Chinese, German and a little bit of Spanish (although I haven’t practised the last one for a long time!). I am also planning to start studying one more language soon!
- Since coming to China, I have started to love 麻婆豆腐 (mapo doufu). It is very popular in China and is basically tofu with some spicy sauce – you definitely need to try it!
- Talking about food, I love Thai cuisine and my absolute favourite dish is “Pad Thai”– I ate it all the time in Thailand! Can’t express how much I miss it!
- I would like to move to Hong Kong one day and start my own business:)
Questions for my nominees:
- It is known that travelling changes people. How has encountering different people and cultures changed you? What has travelling taught you so far?
- What item can’t you do without while travelling?
- Why did you decide to start a travel blog?
- What, apart from travelling, is your greatest passion?
- What motivates and excites you while on the road?
- Is there anything that you regret not doing in one of your destinations?
- What was the funniest and most ridiculous situation that happened to you while you were travelling?
- What would you say to someone who has just decided to travel the world? Do you have any ‘words of wisdom’?
- What do you think makes travelling so unique?
- Do you think people can travel all their lives or does there come a time when you should make a decision to finally settle down?
- Hugh from Hugh With A View– Hugh is a student from Belfast and he began his blog to write about his exciting travels through Spain and other European countries. He also writes about his own country- Ireland!
- Jasmine from My Suitcase Journeys– Check out Jasmine’s blog if you’re looking for insightful tips from her travels all around the world!
- Suzie from The Wandering Linguist– Suzie is passionate about languages and loves travelling!
- Paroma from The Year of The Monkey– Paroma is a scientists living in San Francisco. She loves travelling and discovering different cuisines
- Gabriella from Interpinned- Gabriella is a website designer and traveller 🙂
To find out more about the Liebster Award, check out an amazing travel blog The Global Aussie 🙂